Triathlon and the Seven Deadly Sins
I think at some point every triathlete suffers from one or all of the Seven Deadly Sins.. The sins are Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth. As sins go they may not be big ones per se, but sins none the less. Fear not sinners, forgiveness is near.
- Pride is excessive belief in one’s own abilities….Pride is also known as Vanity.
Have you ever thought you were ready for your race even though you conscientiously missed or avoided many training days?? This is where pride goeth before the fall… As far as vanity goes how many race photos line your Facebook page?
- Envy is the desire for others’ traits, status, abilities, or situation.
Do you see other athlete’s equipment i.e. newest tri-bike rocket ship and know in your heart that your current steed is more than capable of filling your need…?? Or the newest kit, helmet, wetsuit, etc…
- Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.
How many pairs of running shoes are in your closet? Bikes in your garage? Helmets? Tri-gear…???
- Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.
Do you eat whatever you want knowing it is not good for you??? but do so knowing that you will most likely burn it off in your next workout?
- Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.
What about the feeling we get when someone passes us and then slows down in a no-draft race? Or…spits louggies, blows snot rockets, or sends sweat showers with you in the backdraft??
- Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.
How many of us haven’t wished we were the ones on the podium…or the selection for the Kona slot vs the SOB that did win?
- Sloth is the avoidance of spiritual work.
Could we be racing for a worthy cause which raises funds for a charity or as a guide for a challenged athlete?If after reading this you find yourself a sinner…fear not. Recently, I applied on-line to become a minister so that I could officiate my daughter’s wedding. I applied to the Universal Life Church and became an ordained minister and join some auspicious celebs such as Conan, Johnny, Joan and Kathy….I even have the T-shirt to prove I am a man of the cloth…So consider yourselves forgiven sinners one and all, for we are all Triathletes under the same tri-universe….Swim, bike run for it would truly be a sin not to… Minister Don